Tuesday 28 June 2016

Pondering Children and Medicine in Pioneer Times

By Kim Vojnov

As I entered the Lang Pioneer Village Museum collection of artefacts, I was instantly swept back in time, imagining my life as a pioneer. Carving out an existence in this country would be difficult enough in terms of dealing with climate, housing and agriculture; I struggled to imagine what the medical practices would have been like, especially in terms of trying to raise healthy children. As a mom myself, I can’t express the immense gratitude I feel when it comes to our modern medical system meeting the needs of my own kids. Imagining the already existing hardships, I tried to wrap my head around how it would feel to have a sick child in this time period.

We are all aware of how many diseases killed early settlers, yet I found myself wondering how often the herbal remedies, bloodletting practices and bottled remedies that contained alcohol, cocaine, or opium were used and successful on children. Questions flooded my mind: What if my child needed a valuable type of medicine? How realistic would it be that with the barter system, I would actually have the ‘equity’ available to attain that medicine? Would all doctors offer similar treatments and what options did I have if one didn’t work? What would the side effects be-or would they even matter? Perhaps you simply had blind faith and just did your best to treat your sick kids.



            
One thing that caught my eye as I strolled through the fascinating collection of artefacts was a little orange and black box in the medical section. In big white letters the words Diatussin Syrup jumped out at me. It turns out that a company, Bischoff, produced this, along with many other patented medicines in order to treat the most serious health maladies during the time period. Doctors prescribed a dosage of a few drops of Diatussin for pertussis, otherwise known as “whooping cough”. This illness was, and still is, one of the most contagious ones out there as it spreads through the air by incessant coughing. So many lives have been lost due to its brutal side effects and unfortunately, it almost always seems to affect young children.

While this bacterial infection still exists today, a major difference is that babies are now immunized against it and as a result, many lives are saved. As I examined the Diatussin bottle on the shelf at Lang, I hoped that whoever used it to treat their child all those years ago had been successful. I decided that I was going to let myself imagine that they had been. I left Lang Pioneer Village with a feeling of incredible thanks to those before us who have created and tried medicinal practices and treatment in order to better future lives.




Kim Vojnov is a faulty member at Trinity College School and a guest writer for the Museum.