Tuesday 17 November 2015

A Man in the Field

I wrote this to let you know a little about me and why I decided to work in the museum field. It is about my most memorable museum experience.  Please think of “museum” in the broadest sense of its definition:


My most memorable museum experienced occurred at Bretteville-sur-Laize Canadian war cemetery in France. This cemetery is like most Canadian World War II cemeteries. It appears abruptly just off a country road and is surrounded by fields and hills. It’s beautiful, but seems out of place in its environment, a cemetery in the middle of the countryside. Many of the Canadian war cemeteries have pillared entranceways which invite visitors into the pristinely kept burial grounds; white marble gravestones are surrounded by gardens of roses. I walked into the cemetery and through the rows, reading the name engraved on each and then moving onto the next one. I had been thinking about this place and these names long before I had arrived.

Months earlier I was chosen to be part of the Canadian Battlefield Study Tour. This tour involved visiting various WWI and WWII battlefields, cemeteries and sights of significance. As a part of this group of twelve students, I was supposed to do a presentation on a Canadian soldier who had died at war. I spent weeks at Bowmanville’s Museum and Archives, researching soldiers and their families. I chose a local man named Wilfred Edward Flaxman, a soldier who died during WWII. He grew up in Bowmanville, on Lover’s Lane, which is very close to the street that I grew up on. Wilfred and his twin brother worked alongside their father constructing many of the street’s English style homes. I learned about his family’s involvement in the war effort and about his death and who he had left behind. The archives contained letters to his family, his medals and some photographs of him and his family. Through all this research and time at the Museum, I became connected with someone I had never met or previously known even existed. I was disappointed to hear that there were no living relatives of Wilfred, there was no one for me to interview, no children or grandchildren, no family historian or old grandmother. None of his siblings had had any kids. I decided that I was going to remember him and share his story, even though I had never really met him. I think that museums can present an opportunity for visitors to connect with someone from history. This potential is what I consider to be one of the values of the museum experience.

In the cemetery, as I walked by the names, dates, and verses, I counted them until I reached row G number 12. There, engraved on the stone was Lieutenant W.E Flaxman, 22nd August 1944, age 31. Teary eyed, I gained my composure and read the group my story about W.E Flaxman. I finished the presentation on a side note about remembrance. I noted that many of the young men who died in WWII were dead uncles; a perspective passed on to my dad and then onto me by my veteran grandfather. Many of these soldiers had died young, unmarried and without children. Their siblings went on to have families; they were remembered by nieces and nephews, many of whom had never met them. In Wilfred’s case, this was not possible, so I requested that as a group, we could act as his nieces and nephews remembering him and his life. This task I continue to do today, sharing his story with others and visiting his family`s tombstone annually. I think I will always have a connection with him.

Sometimes when we are learning about history it is hard to remember that it was people like you and I who lived through it. We often look at the big event and the overall conditions. In WWII history we learn about Dieppe, D-Day landings and the closing of the Falaise pocket. We are given death tolls and POW (prisoner of war) figures. In all of this it is easy to forget the individuals. It is easy to forget that when one person dies, it is a tragedy for an entire family and community. At Bretteville-sur-Laize I was given the opportunity to recognize this. As a visitor I saw thousands of almost identical tombstones, many with the same date, age, rank and regiment, however, each had a different name and family message. Each of these people had stories like Wilfred, they had people who loved them, cared for them and missed them.

At most museums visitors are shown objects and told stories about people. They are invited to connect with individuals, learning about how they lived and what they did. I believe this is one of the greatest impacts museums can have on a visitor. Museums tend to bring history alive, as they show the objects, possessions and pictures of actual people. They make history less of a story and more of an experience. The history of the Falaise pocket is no longer just a tactical operation that resulted in the separation of Nazi forces and the death of thousands. It was an operation that Lieutenant W.E Flaxman was a part of and one which he died in.  






Ruth began volunteering at Lang Pioneer Village in 2012 at the event craft tables. She is currently the Acting Administrative/Volunteer Coordinator and has played several roles at the Museum this year including the role of the Keene Hotel Hostess. She likes to consider herself a perpetual student as she always enjoys learning new things, taking courses and joining clubs.