Tuesday 13 October 2015

Grandma's Apron

By Karis Regamey

Fall is my absolute favourite time of the year! It's the enticing combination of the colourful leaves, the return of football, hot coffee, the crisp air that requires comfy sweaters and jeans to stay warm and Thanksgiving. It also means being able to use the oven again! I don't know about you, but I rarely use the oven during the summer because my house is warm enough without it.

I love to cook and bake so when fall rolls around, it is experiment season. I'm finally able to try all the recipes that I have been adding to my Pinterest boards all summer which require an oven.

The other day I came across the following poem on Facebook:
Courtesy of Pinterest


I don't often wear an apron when I cook/bake. Reading this poem got me thinking though. We are very fortunate to be able to go the grocery store and pick up eggs, vegetables, fruit etc. If my clothes get dirty when the speed of my KitchenAid mixer is too fast and batter sprays out, or my child misses the bowl when pouring in the milk, I don't have to think twice about changing and throwing my soiled clothes in the washing machine. With a simple push of a button, my oven heats to the perfect temperature to bake a batch of cookies.

It is this experience of "Grandma" that is portrayed on a daily basis in the Village. From hand-washing to hand-mixing to hand-picking, the interpreters provide that gentle reminder that life has not always been so convenient- complete with apron. 

 




I am thankful for the modern conveniences of life nowadays. And I think I will be adding an apron to my Christmas list.



Karis Regamey is the Marketing Consultant for Lang Pioneer Village Museum, She has been with the Museum since February of 2009. When she is not busy overseeing the advertising of the Village, she can be found chasing after her two little ones.